PDO vs. mysql_*

neogranas

I'm hoping to get direction on this subject. I've seen some articles and how-to's on PDO recently and all I've ever seen on them is seemingly just an alternative to use mysql_(whatever). Can someone explain to me what the difference between them is and why one would be better than the other, or if it's just a situation of use PDO when doing one sort of application and mysql_(whatever) for another?

I did search the forums and didn't find anything that really explained it to me, but maybe I didn't search right, if I missed where this has already been brought up, I apologize.

1. With PDO you don't need to write separate code when you change database. mysql_connect will only work for MySQL and not MS SQL Server or Oracle. For that you will need to use different methods. PDO solve this problem.

2. With PDO when you use parameters then all user input is automatically sanitized. You don't need to sanitize it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.