Google Maps API, anyone familiar?

Akkari

Hello there everyone.

I'm pretty poor at Javascript but currently working on it. I have a simple question with regards to the current Google Maps javascript API. I'm trying to retrieve locations from MySQL and post them on a map as well as allow the user to enter a new location and store it in the db. So far I think I'm getting my hands on the right stuff. XML to output map: mysql > php > xml > javascript > display on map. In case of storing, javascript sending GET parameters to a PHP script which then parses and stores them in the db.

The question is:

With a lot of searching I think I found the tutorials that can help me achieve this. However, they are from 2007. This one:

http://code.google.com/apis/maps/articles/phpsqlinfo.html

and this one:

http://code.google.com/apis/maps/articles/phpsqlajax.html

These are the only tutorials I could find related to PHP and MySQL. Are they up to date or will they break when I try to implement them? I'm pretty confused with all the materials on code.google.com but found those to be the best suited to my needs. Are there things I'd have to consider that are no longer supported by the API or so? Can you recommend a better/ up to date tutorial?

Thanks a lot.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.