.htpasswd authentication without prompt?

swharrell

I previously asked this question in the Apache Server forum with no reply so I'm thinking maybe that was the wrong area to post it in.

I have a directory with media files in it (mp3's, videos etc.) that I want to secure from being downloaded yet be able to be played by a local player on the site. I was thinking of trying to secure the directory using .htaccess and .htpasswd files. I would then like to have the page the player is on pass the login credentials to allow the media files to be played. I do not want the user to be prompted for login credentials but if they tried to access the directory to download a file they would be denied.

The server is (of course) Apache 2.2.17 and the scripting languages are php (version 5.2) and jQuery.

Is this possible or am I going about this the wrong way?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Yes, I have extensively searched for answers before posting but could not find the answer I was looking for.

Your looking for anti-leeching? I garuntee there are thousands of snippets/tutorials and bits of info on the subject :P.

But for your htaccess, the easiest method imo, is to use mod_rewrite (rewrite_engine in apache).

Like so:

Options +FollowSymLinks +Indexes
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http(www.)mydomain.com [NC]
RewriteRule .(exe|zip|rar)$ - [F] 

Put this in your top-level .htaccess file, also, change "mydomain.com" to your domain name you want to allow and it should protect any exe/zip or rar file from being directly downloaded. Scripts can something like

<?php

$file = "sometest.rar";
$filepath = "myfiles/";

if(!file_exists($filepath.$file)){
exit("File not found!");
}
header("Content-type: application/x-rar-compressed");
header('Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="'.date("dmy").'_'.$file);
readfile($filepath.$file);
?>

to transmit the file to the client.

hope this helps

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.