DD don't work in IE 7

unemployment

I can't get my dd nav to work in IE7.  On hover it hides behind another part of the site.  I've tried using position relative and z-index's but can't get it to work.

<li class="marr">
<dl id="comp_list">
	<dt></dt>
	<dd class="bbs">stuff</dd>
                <dd>stuff</dd>   
</dl>								
</li>

div.nav li dl{
display:none;
    background-color:#1a7eb2;
    left:0;
    margin:0;
    padding:0;
    position:absolute;
    top:34px;
z-index:40;
-moz-box-shadow: 1px 0 5px #858585;
-webkit-box-shadow: 1px 0 5px #858585;
box-shadow: 1px 0 5px #858585;
-moz-border-radius: 0 0 10px 0;
    border-radius:0 0 10px 0;
}
div.nav li:hover dl{
display:block;
}
div.nav li:hover dt{
cursor:pointer;
display: none;
}
div.nav ul li:hover dd{
}
div.nav li dd{
    clear:left;
    color:#FFFFFF;
    margin:0;
    padding:0;
    text-align:left;
border-top:1px solid #2d8ab4;
border-bottom:1px solid #257193;
}
div.nav ul li dl dd a:link, div.nav ul li dl dd a:visited , div.nav ul li dl dd a:hover, div.nav ul li dl dd a:active {
    color:#FFFFFF;
    font:0.9em Arial;
    padding:2px 15px 3px 21px;
white-space: nowrap;
}

Ah, the pseudo hover class is not supported in IE 7 and lower  (in your case you have li:hover). I assume you got this menu technique from the son of suckerfish?

IF so, a small part of it is using javascript for it IE 7 and lower to mimic the hover effect.

Maybe check out the creators of it: http://htmldog.com/articles/suckerfish/

If your not using their technique I recommend you do. It's as far as i know the best technique.

Hope this helps

Ah, the pseudo hover class is not supported in IE 7 and lower  (in your case you have li:hover). I assume you got this menu technique from the son of suckerfish?

IF so, a small part of it is using javascript for it IE 7 and lower to mimic the hover effect.

Maybe check out the creators of it: http://htmldog.com/articles/suckerfish/

If your not using their technique I recommend you do. It's as far as i know the best technique.

Hope this helps

The suckerfish method didn't work for me.  It seems that suckerfish just adds a display: block to the li:hover ul which is basically what I already have.  I think I need more advice.

Well you say that pretty quick it took me days to see exactly what it does.

What you could try is apply a strict doctype, but still you need to mimic hover behaviour for IE 6. and maybe even IE 7 if that doesn't work.

And you need to do that with javascript css can't. Since you assume that the suckerfish technique is not able to do what you want. I can't help you really. It uses javascript to mimic the hover. What i would do is look at that javascript and adjust it to your needs. But i don't know crap about javascript as far as reading goes.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.