XMLWriter error - openURI('php://output')

Hi All,

It has been a while since I posted, but I am hoping someone can help me out as I have definitely reached the end of my knowledge base.

I have an issue with the XMLWriter object when trying to use the openURI() method.

I recently installed Drupal 7 and I tried to enable the xmlsitemap module. it produced a ton of errors relating to the XMLWriter object not being valid or initialized

example:

Warning: XMLWriter::startDocument() [xmlwriter.startdocument]: Invalid or unitialized XMLWriter object in ...(path to test file)

I quickly realized that this is a server specific issue.  I tried this testing code and reproduced the error:

<?php
$writer = new XMLWriter();
$writer->openURI('php://output');
$writer->startDocument("1.0");
$writer->startElement("example");
$writer->startElement("specchars");
$writer->text('&');
$writer->endDocument();
$writer->flush();
?>

result

Warning: XMLWriter::startDocument() [xmlwriter.startdocument]: Invalid or unitialized XMLWriter object in ...(path to test file)

So I then tried to use the memory write instead with this:

<?php
$writer = new XMLWriter();
$writer->openMemory();
$writer->startDocument("1.0");
$writer->startElement("example");
$writer->startElement("specchars");
$writer->text('&');
$writer->endDocument();
print_r($writer->outputMemory());
$writer->flush();
?>

output

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<example><specchars>&</specchars></example>

which works fine......

so i figured that it has to be something to do with the openURI("php://output") and my server config.

I am running ubuntu server 10.10 with zend php 5.2.14 . LAMP server.  I can dump the php.ini file if necessary, although i am hoping I am just missing something very obvious here.

also, if i actual write to a file (ie. $writer->openURI('test.xml'), then i am able to initialize the object and it works fine), it seems to only be when i use the php:// for the uri.

any thoughts?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.