PHP Managing Files

kool_samule

Hi Chaps,

I have a PHP app that allows users to login and view contents of an FTP folder (that is unique to their login).

They can upload and download files but some users are having problems.

As some of the files can be quite large, the app seems to be a bit tempremental when uploading files.

Also, when downloading very large files, sometimes in excess of 200-300 Mb, the script seems to timeout. The script reads the file to be downloaded, then loads it to the header, to force open/download. But again, this is very tempremental and there's nothing much to go on in terms or trouble-shooting. Everytime I test it, it seems to work, but users are having trouble.

I have checked the Windows IIS 7/PHP file settings, and all are OK.

So my questions are:

1. what is the best way to handle very large file uploads?

2. what is the best way to force open/download of large files, without PHP having to 'read' the file first?

Any help or guidence would be most appreciated.

Cheers

You will want to look at the following settings in php.ini

upload_max_filesize

post_max_size

max_execution_time

You definitely shouldn't have to read the entire file into PHP before serving it. Just setting the appropiate headers should do the job, then let apache handle delivering the file.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.