Mysql SYNTAX error - please help!

donnan

Hi guys,

My server mysql version is 5.1.55

I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure where I have got the syntax wrong with this one.

mysql_query("UPDATE `gemps_shares` SET `given_gemps` = given_gemps + " . $gemps . ", `total_gemps` = given_gemps + link_gemps WHERE `user_id` = '$_REQUEST[user_id]' AND `user_id` = '$_REQUEST[owner_id]'") or die (mysql_error());

I am just trying to add values from field `given_gemps` to a int variable $gemps, then getting a total by adding `given_gemps` field to `link_gemps` field and settting `total_gemps` field with the result.

It's got me where I have gone wrong.  I think I have tried everything.  Maybe it's something really simple.

Thanks in advance for your help and guidance.

Hi

Nothing jumps out at me (except the logic of checking that user_id is the same as 2 different variables).

Can you echo out the sql to see what it really looks like with the variables in place.

Also it is normally a really bad idea to use user input (ie, $_REQUEST variables in this case) in SQL without using mysql_real_escape_string.

All the best

Keith

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your reply mate.

I found the syntax error was being caused because of an ealier query that wasn't getting correct data to apply to this query.

I am learning though.  Thanks again for your help.  Most appreciated.  :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.