RegEx Expanded email check, pitfalls?

The Letter E

I'm trying to improve upon a standard regex that checks basic email syntax and add a restricted list of domain suffixes. i.e: .com, .net, .org etc...

Is there any inherent problems any of you have come across that would make this method not worth while?

Here's the regex: /^[a-zA-z0-9-._]+@[a-zA-Z0-9-]+\.(com|net|mobi|biz|org|us|edu)$/

As you can see instead of doing somthing like .{2,5} at the end or another length wildcard checker I've just compiled a list, that will eventually be a database driven solution, but for now it's still just concept.

Is there anything similar to this and any improvement recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

E

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_top-level_domains

As you can see, there are a lot of top level domains. If performance is a serious issue, you might be able to optimize the regex by using something like this /(c(om|a|y|etc)|e(du|u|etc)|etc)/ instead of /(com|ca|cy|cetc|edu|eu|eetc|etc)/ .

Genius! That's a great suggestion. Thanks alot.

No prob. Of course if all you are doing is validating a single email, performance will not be an issue and you could use the simplified version you suggested (which will be easier to generate programmatically).

I'm definitely looking for a slightly more robust solution which you have made increasingly clear with your response.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.