Where do I use the ./configure command at?

Is there a shell i'm supposed to be opening somewhere? I've got WAMP server 2.1 installed with PHP.5.3.5.. and if there is a shell so I can enter this command and set the switches or flags I've been reading about so I can manipulate dbm databases.  The php manual talks about the things I should do but nothing tells me specifically where the hell I need to run these commands.  I followed sever tutorials and nothing has been working for me.  I've got a application I'm working on that currently saves customer information in files, outputs the info just added to the file, then allows you to delete them and I really want to keep learning but am having quite a bit of trouble finding where to enter these commands.  What am I missing?  I feel like its right in front of my eyes... I've tried going into the directory i have php and running the cli and cgi from there out of desperation.  Just opens up a shell which I cannot do anything with... am i just stupid? and if I am please someone spell this process out for me so I use set dba handlers and create dbm database so I can move on to SQL after.  :confused:

Ok so I'm not completely nuts... how am I to make it so I can work with dbm databases on my machine then?  What do I have to do?  How do I use php to manipulate the databases on a windows system? Download a compiler to compile what? PHP or php source? I'm so confused!  Is there something I can add in my php scripts that will make the dba functions available?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.