copying data and keeping referencial integrity with mysql

fivestringsurf

Using:

mysql  5.1.4

php 5

I built an application in which users can choose a predefined menu consisting of various parent/child relationships.  So basically once choosen the data rows are copied from the "template" table and added to a "user" table. From there the user can alter the predefined values as they wish.  The problem is the unique ids in the "user" table are different so all the parent_id /child_id stuff is off in the "user" table. Is there a way to easily way to duplicate the data (with new ids) but keep the references correct with a single  mysql statement? Or do I have to do a dreaded mix of php/mysql adding the parents first getting their unique ids and then adding subsequent children on and on.?

Just to be clear

"template table"

id | parent_id | value

1    null              red

2    null              blue

3    null              purple

4    1                  gray

5    2                  light gray

6    4                  orange

what i need -> "user table" (ids are unique and auto incrementing)

id | parent_id | value

1000    null        red

1001  null          blue

1002    null        purple

1003  1000      gray

1004  1001      light gray

1005  1004      orange

Thanks for any suggestions

First off, thanks for the reply...

your sample code is pretty much what i have already; the problem with that approach is everything transfers over to a new table but the parent/child relationships get messed up.  The parent_id stays the same as the old table when it needs to link up with the id of the new table.

;....?

the sample code leads to a table that looks something like:

id | parent_id | value

1000    null        red

1001  null          blue

1002    null        purple

1003  1            gray

1004  2            light gray

1005  4            orange

note the broken child/parent references

I'll have to try that out tomorrow (it's past my bedtime right now :) );

but at first glance it appears that would simply move the id from the first table and fill it into the parent_id field, still not maintaining parent/child references between the same table.

Maybe I'm not being clear.  I need to maintain parent/child pairs within the same table.

Thank you.

I have come to the realization that accomplishing this is (i don't think) possible in a single mysql statement. I'm actually going to re-work my strategy. I will remove auto increment and allow the ids to be non-unique.  I have added a field (user_id) and that will help track data... via a unique id between user_id and id. So the parent/child ids can actually be an exact replica from the "template" table -- whew that's much easier.  I've always just used auto incrementing primary ids...but here I don't think that's the way to go.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.