Safe Customer Data

dlf1987

I built a address book for customers and i realize now im not sure the best way to allow the customer to edit/delete their addresses, but stopping them from pulling/editing other customers info.

Even if i use post data only they could still view the page source and see the address ID being posted to the next page and change it, to see or edit someone elses data...

Should i encrypt the ID? Is that even good enough?

Im using PHP/MYSQL

You would typically put the ID of the data being referenced on the end of the URL ?id=some_id_number AND you would check on each page if the current visitor has permission to operate on that ID (his ID is the same as the ID from the end of the URL.)

So, if your login system has a $_SESSION['userid'] variable -

<?php
session_start(); // start/resume the session
if($_SESSION['userid'] == $_GET['id']){
    // the current logged in visitor OWNS the id being operated on

// allow the visitor access to the operations on this page...

} else {
    // the current logged in visitor does not match the id being operated on, just let him view the data or redirect him somewhere else on the site
}
?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.