inner query madness

fivestringsurf

I'm tangled in this rather large query and not getting the results I need.

I am expecting a set of results 100 items long.

the statement I am having trouble with (I'm getting more than 100 results):

SELECT 
        class_item_id 
FROM 
        class_custom 
WHERE
name_abr >= (SELECT name_abr  AS name_abr FROM class_custom WHERE class_item_id = 27 AND class_type_id = 122)
AND
name_abr < (SELECT name_abr +100 AS name_abr FROM class_custom WHERE class_item_id = 27 AND class_type_id = 122)
AND 
        class_type_id = 122

When I hardcode the inner query it works fine ( i get the expected 100 results):

SELECT 
class_item_id 
FROM 
        class_custom 
WHERE
name_abr >= 300
AND
name_abr < 400
AND 
        class_type_id = 122
//works fine! -expected 100 results returned

But here's where it gets weird...when I test each subquery individually they seem to return '300' and '400' respectively??? So I'm not sure where I have gone wrong here.

SELECT name_abr  AS name_abr FROM class_custom WHERE class_item_id = 27 AND class_type_id = 122
//returns 300

SELECT name_abr +100 AS name_abr FROM class_custom WHERE class_item_id = 27 AND class_type_id = 122
//returns  400

The peices seem to work individually, but not as a whole...Please advise, thank you

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.