Registration Strategy for E-commerce

doubledee

I'm trying to decide what is the best approach to take as far as registering (or not) people paying on my e-commerce site.

If you were a potential customer and checking out...

1.) Would requiring that you "activate" a user account before you can continue turn you off?

2.) Would requiring that no User Account is created and you just jump to entering Credit Card details turn you off?

Debbie

good questions,

I would go for the registration though. Make sure though it's an easy process and you explain why you want them to register. Keep in contact, help them afterwards more directly, know their preferences et cetera

registering somewhere gives me the confidence (in a way) that they have some security standards

good questions,

I would go for the registration though. Make sure though it's an easy process and you explain why you want them to register. Keep in contact, help them afterwards more directly, know their preferences et cetera

registering somewhere gives me the confidence (in a way) that they have some security standards

Okay, so one vote for having User Registration.

But what about my first question with "activating" a newly created Account?

I like it because...

a.) It makes the Account Creation process more obvious in people's minds.  (They have to stop and think, "Oh yeah, I am creating an account and after that I am going to give Debbie my $$$!!)

b.) It helps me ensure I have a valid e-mail address in case I need to reach a Customer!!!

What does everyone else thing?!

Debbie

activating helps you make sure your emails don't get it there spamfolder, and if they do they directly find it and mark it safe.

it blocks most spambots from automatic attacks/registrations.

Doesn't it all make sense, we all like to be treated as an individual customer (not in all types of shops but most), wouldn't it be wonderful if in a semi anonymous world a shop knows his customers.

activating helps you make sure your emails don't get it there spamfolder, and if they do they directly find it and mark it safe.

it blocks most spambots from automatic attacks/registrations.

But a lot of other people have told me it is a bad idea for e-commerce since it is another step and you will likely lose the customer...

Doesn't it all make sense, we all like to be treated as an individual customer (not in all types of shops but most), wouldn't it be wonderful if in a semi anonymous world a shop knows his customers.

Yes, but people are so impatient in this day and age.

There is ALSO the factor that I am running out of time, and it is better to have a semi-successful "plain vanilla" site in v1.0 than be bankrupt with a "super deluxe" site!!  ;D

Debbie

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.