text-decoration:none;
  padding: 2px 5px;
  background:red;
}

a:hover{  /* on mouse over */
   background:green;
   color:#fff;
}

Cheers dude, do you know if there are any modern tutorials for doing this?

How to I applt it to the HTML?

Tutorials almost always suck for learning these very basics, better buy a good book, it saves you time and money. Oreilly has mostly good books.

The code i supplied is css, and targets anchor elements. Css is all about targeting elements by using selectors classes or id's and setting style to it. Css is at it's best in an external stylesheet but you could also use style tags or inline style

I can explain it all here, but I think it's best if you buy a decent book, because it seems the whole concept of css not clear it seems.

Just google, learn css or learn html or something, if you are not in to books. But trust me a book is the fastest way to learn this.

trust me if you did this before you would have known.

I repeat myself for the sake of starving monkeys in the himalaya.

Css is all about targeting elements by using selectors classes or id's and setting style to the targeted element.

clearly you have no idea how to target something from css, which is the first thing you learn.

For instance if i want to target a <p> element  with that hover effect i do:

<style type="text/css">
p { /* Use an external stylesheet! */
  padding: 2px 5px;
  background:red;
}

p:hover{  /* on mouse over  OLDER BROWSERS MIGHT NOT LIKE THIS SO GOOGLE PSEUDO:HOVER CSS!!!! (oops caps) */
   background:green;
   color:#fff;
}
</style>
<body>

<body>
  <p>some text inside a p element</p>
</body>

Now you can ask me again how to do this for a div, but since you did this before showing it to you twice must ring a bell other wise: google is your friend!

Hi,

Can you quote me a price for doing, from what your saying it should only take ten minutes.

I just need to get it done and out the way.

To make it simple I want to put the same mouseover affect on different divs.  Can I give you the example to code so it just styles the stylesheet?

Your right, I got to work is <p> as per your example but how do I get it to apply to a div.

My Div is, I am trying to apply a mouseover affect to this:

.headernavgrey{

float: left;

padding-left: 10px;

padding-right: 10px;

padding-top: 20px;

padding-bottom: 20px;

background:#f4f4f4;

font-family: Arial;

font-size: 12px;

}

Your either just lazy, or haven't read any of the underlined things i said above. and did a search on them. (those were keywords to help you out)

Have a read here: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/selector.html#type-selectors

we are not here to write code, if there is no effort shown

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.