Custom CMS vs Joomla?

adipalmer123

Hi All

I'm in the process of re-designing a site for a company. I am going to be having a CMS for the site also.

My question - is it better to use a ready made CMS like Joomla (because i believe its the best) or to write a custom CMS?

I would only want the CMS to be able to edit certain parts of the site, upload images to specific image holders or galleries and maybe add or delete pages.

Finally, with say Joomla, is it possible to install Joomla onto an existing site, and just somehow select the areas of the site you want to change??

Look forward to your replies

Adi

I don't know how much time you have and what your client is expecting, but making a complete cms yourself that works on multiple boxes will take you years and a lot of experience.

As for Joomla, whatever people say about it, it's a great system, for average companies that pretty much works out of the box. And you can customize it yourself and prepare a custom backend administration for your client. Building templates for Joomla is also pretty doable too. But than again, you never worked with it, as far as i can make up out of the above. If your in a rush, take a week to try out joomla. read the security best practices, and try it out. You wont be able to make that 1800+ file (and counting) system your self in that time.

Just make sure you subscribe to the security announcements, because here and than you need to patch it. And don't just install any component, google for vulnerabilities. Since it's opensource, everyone can deliver stuff including alot of crap. But that's not true for the core files

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.