Multiple id's in a single field?

wabash

I'm looking for the best practice to assign multiple blooming colors to a plant.  For example a Yarrow plant blooms white and yellow flowers.  I have a plant table and plant color table (among others) which look like:

plantTable

id, plant, color

1, Yarrow, ??

plantColorTable

id, color

1, yellow

2, white

3, red

etc.

?? Can I put multiple color Id's in a single field for color in the plantTable or is there a better practice for something like this?

Thanks so much for your help.

Bill....

Hi

Putting multiple ids in one field makes it very difficult to do a JOIN (it is possible, but is very nasty code and just about unreadable). It is a common mistake people make when starting with SQL.

Use a link table. Don't have the colour in the plant table. In the link table you have multiple rows per flower, one for each colour.

All the best

Keith

Thanks Keith,

So would this link table look like the following?:

flowerColorTable

flower id, red, whtie, green yellow, purple,...

I include the flower id and put a #1 if the flower has that blooming color?  Something like this or are you thinking of different?

Thanks

Bill...

You would have a row for each entry -

plant_id, color_id
23          1
23          2

If you need to add a new color (i.e. lavender, Indigo, ...) you would just add that color to the color table and then use that color_id where needed in the above table. The scheme you proposed would require that you alter the table and add a column in order to add a new color. You should never find yourself needing to dynamically add a column to a table just because a new value is being used (that is referred to as spread-sheet thinking and it results in bad database designs.)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.