Repeated Rows (MySQL)

georgerobbo

I'm currently working on a multiple choice online examination app and I need to get the assignments given to a student. They are set an assignment and foreign keys to the AssignmentID (primary key) and UserID are stored in the table AssignmentsUsers.

Questions are selected by random, (depending on the QuestionQuantity) entity in the Assignments table and foreign keys are stored in three tables, Results, ResultsSessions, ResultsAssignments. This is so during and after the examination, we can see which questions the students took, at what time they answered, what answer they selected and what assignment they were sitting.

With my current query, I'm trying to get a list assignments set for the student (who is signed in) and tell whether they have completed each assignment by using a  JOIN statement with the Results table. If ResulID is NULL, we can tell that the assignment hasn't be started. However, if it has been started - I'm getting multiple results as for each answer, the ResultsAssignments table contains two foreign keys.

ResultsAssignments

ResultID    AssignmentID        Name                Slug                DueDate

1                1                            Networks          networks        2011-04-15 13:35:00

2                1                            Networks          networks        2011-04-15 13:35:00

3                2                            Policies            policies            2011-04-18 13:35:00 

SELECT
Results.ResultID, Questions.TheQuestion, Answers.TheAnswer
FROM Results
JOIN ResultsAssignments ON ResultsAssignments.ResultID = Results.ResultID 
JOIN Assignments ON Assignments.AssignmentID = ResultsAssignments.AssignmentID
JOIN AssignmentsUsers ON AssignmentsUsers.AssignmentID = Assignments.AssignmentID 
JOIN Users ON Users.UserID = AssignmentsUsers.UserID 
JOIN SessionsUsers ON SessionsUsers.UserID = Users.UserID
JOIN Questions ON Questions.QuestionID = Results.QuestionID
JOIN QuestionsAnswers ON QuestionsAnswers.QuestionID = Questions.QuestionID
JOIN Answers ON QuestionsAnswers.AnswerID = Answers.AnswerID
WHERE SessionsUsers.SessionID = '30c65fa97d8f3997761c1e01bb310475bce9a572' 
AND Assignments.Slug = 'computer-networks-and-the-internet' 
AND Assignments.AssignmentID = 1
AND Results.ResultID = 1

Assignments

AssignmentID (Primary Key)

Name

Slug

Difficulty (Integer)

TimeLimit (TimeDate)

QuestionQuantity (Number of Questions)

DueDate (Date which the assignment must be complete by)

AssignmentsUsers

AssignmentID

UserID

Users

UserID

Firstname

Surname

Hash

SessionsUsers

UserID

SessionID

Results

ResultID

QuestionID

AnswerID

AnswerStamp

ResultsAssignments

ResultID

AssignmentID

ResultsSessions

ResultID

SessionID

Hi

Can have a play, but to save me a load of typing could you export the table declarations and a small sample of data that can demonstrate the problem.

However to me it looks like you just have several results for an assignment. Which I presume is correct as I presume an assignment has several questions each of which has a result.

All the best

Keith

Hi

I changed the SQL a touch to do a SELECT * (not recommended for production use) to get all the columns and I can't see any duplicates.

If I remove the WHERE clause for the session_id I can get a duplicate, but otherwise it seems fine.

All the best

Keith

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.