Best Practice - Multiple Tables and Join Tables or Type Field?

jimmyoneshot

I'm wondering what is the best practice in the following situation. I have a site which users can use to upload both videos and photos to albums

Currently my database has 3 tables - objects, albums and albums_objects.

The type of object is defined using a field in the objects table called object_type which contains an integer 1 = video 2 = photo

The type of album is defined using a field in the albums table called album_type which contains an integer 1 = video album 2 = photo album

The albums_objects table is a join table and simply contains object_id and album_id indicating what objects are inside specific albums.

I'm basically wondering have I gone about this in the right way or should I be creating more tables i.e. the following tables:-

videos

photos

photo_ablums

video_albums

videos_video_albums

photos_photo_albums

Which is the most efficient method? My currently existing one or having several tables?

Cheers Keith. Heres another thing I'm thinking about.

I also have a users table that has the following fields:-

user_id, email, password, first_name, surname, phone

However my user's can either be regular users or managers but the last 3 fields listed above ONLY apply to managers meaning if a regular user registers then the last 3 fields in that row would be blank for that user. Would this example need to be split into 2 tables or could I just select only the fields that apply to the type of user being viewed on my front end and perhaps add a user_type field?

Aha got ya. I think it makes sense to make use of a type field in this case because it's more adaptable for the future if more user types need to be added otherwise I'd have to add a new table for every type of user and point my queries at all sorts of different tables.

Thanks.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.