Screen Size / resolution affecting display

stevengreen22

Ello.

I would like to know how I can counter for any resolution that my site may be displayed at.  my site is crap and begin remodeled.  Using css.  loaded it up onto another computer and the sontent had jumped to the bottom of the page as there wasn't enough space.

Is there a way around this?

I'm usign a fluid width for all with the except of the ad div.

you could work with percentages, and em instead of pixels for text. another way would be to use javascript i guess to get the resolution.

Although as far as i know, for things like mobile devices they make a different special site,  and place it under a m.domain.com

I usually use a fixed width of 960px. and let the background scale automatically to make it a little fluid without affecting my content.

I usually use a fixed width of 960px. and let the background scale automatically to make it a little fluid without affecting my content.

that sounds like a fairly good idea, although I'm hooked on the idea of having a nav/login bar at the top that scales as well, although could be implemented.  I don't reaeeeealy need all the content to move i s'pose, the main aspect for me was the nav....beside, working with a figure is easier than calculating %'s especially when the ad has to be fixed.

I'll look for a jscript that will be able to help for when things start moving.

but (this is kinda joining the two threads i guess)  ...if you wouldn't mind explaining....

say...you've got fixed middle and then the rest is fluid..it would go askew on resize....but if the fixed middle was within a container that was fluid that had a min width on...then it would be ok....am i making that more complicated than need be?

so...contain with nav inside - then container with middle - then right ad in container as well (doesn't matter if ad goes out of view on resize)

um...this is making more sense to me  but might be hard to read - apologies.

the left one is fixed, the middle is fluid and the right fixed (GAH! but then whats the point of it even being fluid if there's a min width unless the content is large...?!?!)

i think i'm making things harder than they need be. typical

if you use a fluid width, also use a min-width (with pixels). Why because you want your site to be displayed right in all circumstances. What if someone opens your site at 200px width, by using min-width you let a scroll bar show indicating that he should resize his window to a normal width. (imagine someone having 10 windows open on one screen... happens al the time when playing poker.

Just google a bit on screen sizes, hmm ipad, galaxy-s, mobile phones? hmm how do they cope with screensizes.

its a great game and I love playing with mate, satisfying to win :)

Online is tough as you can't read people and it's too easy to get screwed by someone river hunting.  saying that, I did have some monstrous success on those 4 dollar tourneys with tons of people.  won a sizeable pot and then started doubling it.  shoudl've left at that point.  but...spunked it all.  since then I've not played online, still good game on a fri / sat night with a  few mates . beers to unwind.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.