socket_create() not defined at command-line, but is when used through Apache

I'm struggling with this little weird problem... I'd like to set up a socket server in PHP. This seems to work fine through Apache (no errors there), but when I execute the .php script using the command line (php server.php), it says that socket_create() is undefined.

So I tried phpinfo() in both environments. When browsing to localhost it says sockets are enabled, but when executing phpinfo() at the command line, it doesn't say anything about sockets.

How can I solve this? How come PHP does support it when used through Apache but not when used at the command line?

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

Hey man,

Thanks for this. It just helped me. I was using wamp and i went to wamp options in tray bar on windows and enable socket extension and had the same issue as you.

Now when i saw this post i went to wamp/bin/php/php5.3.4/ only to discover the socket extension is still commented. So i uncommented it and now it works :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.