Uploading a new HTML site into current PHP site

roywebdesign

Hello all,

I have a new client, AMP Radio Network, they currently have the following website done entirely in PHP.

Amp Radio Network

I just finished designing a new site for them that they like a lot, I did it entirely in HTML/CSS.

Now for the trickie part.

They want me to upload the new site and then have the current site linked from the new one (through a "Musician's" nav link).

Anyone have a good idea of how to do this? I don't want to go in there changing the names of the PHP files unless I have to.

I finally discovered the location of the index.php file, it was under a folder called "new".

My original idea was to change the name of the index.php file to something like

"musicians.php" then link to that from the site I just created.

However now seeing the 50+ PHP files I'm worried changing the name of the index file may upset the other pages and break them or even break the MYSQL database.

The course of action that I just described, will this work?

Is there an easier way any of you can think of?

They own a second domain name and host, called Ampmediapartners.com.

Would it be better to maybe upload my new site to this URL, then redirect them together somehow?

In the end all I want is when people navigate to ampradionetwork.com they will go to MY NEW WEBSITE and then be able to go to this old one through a link.

Sorry if any of this is confusing but could really use a hand, if you need me to clarify anything please just ask!

it's a bit vague, but one thing always good is to make a backup.

just for my idea: there are 2 sites:

site A (new one html/css)

site B (old one php)

and they run on 2 different domains or just 1?

And A replaces B right?

as far as the php site breaking. I hope for you that the site uses 1 index.php that includes other files. if that is the case it doesn't matter if you name index.php monkeys.php or gorilla.php If that is not the case you might have a bit of a problem as far as i can see it. But probabaly others have some ideas.

If they run on 1 domain, you can also get all those php files put them in a folder named 'old' or something or maybe even on a subdomain and let them exist there. The only thing you need to check if the filepaths are still correct.

I really appreciate this fast response Cssfreakie!

There is only ONE domian, www.ampradionetwork.com.

I have a new website using all .html extension and my css pages.

I want to create a link on this new website called "Musicians" and have this link

go to the current website linked above.

In the directory I see about 6 folders and then 10 PHP files outside of those folders.

The index.php file is in one of those folders called "new".

I find this strange b/c usually the index.php file is in the MAIN ROOT of the directory, not

in a folder.

Looking through I do only find one INDEX.PHP file, and I see "includes" on

many of the pages. (I know what these are, I have minor PHP experience).

I think I like your idea of putting EVERYTHING in a new folder called "OLD" or w/e.

Uploading my site to the main root and hoping it works?

Thanks,

Michael Roy

roywebdesign.net

cheers happy you like the blog.

That's what i would do, just keep the same file structure and put it in a new map. only thing you may want to change is the path. If it is well designed that should not be a problem. otherwise you need to check the files for file path declarations. often cms and alike have a config file where that define a filepath.

Yeah, I posted this on another forum and they pretty much said the same thing as your

thinking.

However they also included:

"You might need to modify the server configuration or use a .htaccess file to force index.html

files to take precedence over index.php files."

someone else said

"I'd put the new files into their own directory and then use apache to rewrite links for you."

well if you put them in a separate folder there is no need to rewrite anything really. But yeah i guess with .htaccess there are some extra trick you can pull out of the sleeve, but i am far from an expert on that. :)

If you want to give that a go, try that on the apache related forum here. it could be a nice solution although it might even be harder :)

If I understand you correctly, I faced the same problem. I completely rewrote my site. So I moved all the old files from public.html to a new directory(s) I created. Then I simply moved the new site files into public.html. Now I can link from the new to the old or provide a url to the old. Worked like a charm.

If I understand you correctly, I faced the same problem. I completely rewrote my site. So I moved all the old files from public.html to a new directory(s) I created. Then I simply moved the new site files into public.html. Now I can link from the new to the old or provide a url to the old. Worked like a charm.

when writing the above comment i was thinking about your site  ;D pretty much the same idea

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.