span won't float right

Imaulle

Hello,

I'm messing around with jQuery UI 'sortable' and I'm not able to get a specific span to float right

Here is my code so far

<style>
#SlideshowOne { list-style-type: none; margin: 0; padding: 0; width: 80%; }
#SlideshowOne li { margin: 0 3px 3px 3px; padding: 0.4em; padding-left: 1.5em; font-size: 1.4em; height: 18px; }
#SlideshowOne li span { position: absolute; margin-left: -1.3em; }
#SlideshowOne span ui-icon-closethick { float:right; margin-right:3px; }
</style>

<ul id="SlideshowOne"> 
  <li class="ui-state-default">
    <span class="ui-icon ui-icon-arrowthick-2-n-s"></span><a href="#"><span class="ui-icon ui-icon-closethick"></span></a>
</li>

The span ui-icon ui-icon-arrowthick-2-n-s needs to float left, but I need the ui-icon ui-icon-closethick to float right as it's a 'delete' button...

any ideas? Also, what class IDs etc can I remove? for example I"m not sure if class="ui-state-default" is needed?

The span ui-icon ui-icon-arrowthick-2-n-s needs to float left, but I need the ui-icon ui-icon-closethick to float right as it's a 'delete' button...

i don't see the float: left; for this?

hmmm nevermind I guess neither of them are 'floating' left. but both of them are on the far left and they are ontop of eachother. I just need <span class="ui-icon ui-icon-closethick"></span> to show up on the far right side of the li

i think the float isn't being recognized because the parent element is positioned absolute.

nvm not even that its that the elements your floating are positioned absolute...

#SlideshowOne li span { position: absolute; margin-left: -1.3em; }

looks a little better! before they were ontop of eachother...

whd2xc.jpg

how can I differentiate between the two different spans?

I've tried this, but it does not work...

#SlideshowOne span ui-icon-closethick { float: right; }

give them different ID's?

er uh..

#SlideshowOne span.ui-icon-closethick {float:right;}

cept the class name has space in it.. ui-icon ui-icon-arrowthick-2-n-s not sure if that canwork or not

i guess i would try #SlideshowOne span.ui-icon ui-icon-closethick {float:right;}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.