News ticker - help

Skylight_lady

Hi guys,

Is there a news ticker that scrolls vertically available that i can get a free script from. What i require is mainly a php/mysql/css news ticker for a website so it can be added or changed via the database for different pages. I have searched and searched but kept on getting Javascipts, marquees tag's and xml's.......none of which are suitable.

So i thought i'd come on here and see if any of you guys know of a good news ticker that does the job for me.

If I turn off JavaScript then jquery won't work. That right? Do you know of a script with jquery?

Yes but 99% of websites these days don't work without javascript either.  jquery is a javascript library that is designed to be cross-browser compatible and makes a lot of complicated things easy.  It is the most heavily used javascript library on the internet, employed by nearly every major website. 

Here is one quick implementation based on jquery that I found:  http://www.jugbit.com/jquery-vticker-vertical-news-ticker/

There are probably many others, so try some google queries and look around if there are things about the one i provided that don't fit your needs.  It looks fine to me however.

Thank you. That sounds like it'll do the job. You can easily add in the sql to that.

I was hoping to avoid all javascripts/jQuerys at all cost due to IE compatible problems with them. Yes, i know its the web browser we all hate. I suppose it's the only way to have a scrolling news ticker with a database. I would prefer if the news ticker was just php coding and with no javascript or jQuery.

There is no way to do interactivity of any sort with just html.  That is why people use either flash or javascript.  Jquery works perfectly with IE.  As I said before it is extensively used by many big websites.  Here's a graph that shows that in the top 10k most visited websites, it's been detected 45% of the time. http://trends.builtwith.com/javascript/JQuery

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.