cron job tutorial

mac_gabe

Hi, I'm looking for information on how to do a cron job or crontab. I.e. a web tutorial somewhere. I've never done one before so will need all the basics including where to put it on my host's server, how to check what's running on my web host etc, and of course what code to write.

I'm planning to use it for a website to make a once-daily index of blog posts at an off-peak time (3 a.m.)

The PHP script I'm going to run is a fairly simple preg replace on an xml page (which contains all the blog posts). The find and replace will find all the titles and links in the xml document and convert them into a long list of html links. I have written the PHP preg replace already, but I don't want to load it every time a visitor views a web page as the xml is a big file and it would bog down the website.

I am at beginner level for most coding, though I'm OK at regex.

For some reason I can't start a new topic in this sub-forum.... so I'm going to have to hi-jack this thread.

I'm trying to set-up a cron job to execute a php script.

The Cron Job Command I have right now:

/usr/bin/php -f /home/zyquo/public_html/ghosthuntersportal.com/cj_run.php

Is that even remotely correct?

As of right now it's not running at all.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.