Error: object required

ben18285

Hey, I need your help again pleeeaaase....

I have been searching for hours now but I still havent found what I am looking for....

The IE error message is:

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; GTB7.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath.2; .NET4.0C)

Timestamp: Mon, 30 May 2011 17:42:38 UTC

Line: 3862

Char: 5

Code: 0

URI: http://www.example.com/js/prototype_1.6.0.2.js

Here the corresponding code:

setOpacity: function(element, value) {

element = $(element);

element.style.opacity = (value == 1 || value === '') ? '' :

(value < 0.00001) ? 0 : value;

return element;

},

Thanks so much in advance,

Ben

Great... so that snippet was from the prototype framework?!

There's nothing wrong with it, only the values that you pass to it. $('nrRooms') is returning null because you commented out that element in the HTML source

So... you uncommented the nrRooms element? or did you delete everything and it somehow works now?

And why would you want to delete the code from the HTML source? If you do so, you will have to edit your javascript correspondingly as all the elements that the script references will no longer exist.

I commented it out because it was no required anymore. And as I did not want to delete (because its a friends website) I simply disabled it. How can I do it right so that it is disabled and there are no more errors? I havent taken any actions yet...

If you simply commented out that element, you will have to find references to that element in the page's javascript code, and comment out those lines of code too. But you will have to know what you are doing and understand how that element affects any other elements on the page, or you will probably make a mess out of everything and screwing up the functionality of something else on the page.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.