Finding purpose for Developing Applications on a higher level

kanidrive

I hope I am posting this in the most appropriate thread... but I have a general question that may seem a little trite to some of you. I've recently hit the job market again and would like to get more familiar with the higher levels of PHP scripting and programming. What do I mean by "higher level"? I have been working through recruiting firms to find a position that matches my current level of skill while trying to fly under the radar of positions I am not (yet) qualified for. I recently took a few online tests that measure your skill level... I not only discovered that I am not up to speed on things like the usage of arrays, but also bitwise operations and PHP class definitions.

I've built dozen websites, mostly just simple static pages, but some have used PHP and MySQL for data retention, and display... some have been on a WordPress platform, and some some have been completely custom (my personal favs). In all my experience, I've not even come across a reason to build a PHP class, or compare the bits a data register. I have come across a few reasons to learn more about arrays and the many built in functions PHP 3, 4, 5, and probably 6 have to offer, but the lists I have worked with have been limited to no more than 30 items and I've typically found a work around, or a structure that avoids having to use arrays heavily.

I've always been able to listen to someones problem, or logically discern my own programming issues, and find a solution. Once the solution is reached, my coding duties are accomplished. The End. Get the code to work after lots of testing, and then call it a day. The code is purposed to automate some redundant task, if the task is now completed by the code... what else is there? Why do I need to learn all the ins and outs of a language when I can perform its function by only knowing a fraction of the details? This is NOT me stating "it's pointless", it's me sharing the opinion of a "Junior" Web Developer looking for answers.

So... what's my REAL question? Ok, here it is: What sort of actual WORK does an "Enterprise-Level" PHP Developer DO?

I've always been adept to programming and logical operations like Boolean Algebra and high-level math, and I understand the fundamentals of computing architecture, but without knowledge of the sort of projects a programming would use the aforementioned functions and practices, I lack direction on how to become a better PHP Developer.

Would anyone be willing to share with us the purpose someone has used a bitwise operation? I know there is a portion for bitwise operation on the Zend Certification, but what is the practical use for it other than creating an operating system using a PHP kernel?

And probably a little easier question to ask the "Gurus" of PHP: When have you used PHP classes in Web Development? For what purpose?

I recall a little bit about classes from the little VB anc C++ stuff I dabbled in about a decade ago, they were basically a set of instructions that managed data in a particular way. Perhaps I'm way off base with that line of thought, if so, I'd love to be corrected.

What sort of actual WORK does an "Enterprise-Level" PHP Developer DO?

In short: write code, and provide estimates. The long version would be something like:

- Implement classes

- Write Unit-Tests

- Refactor Code

Since the developer writes code he's required to have a good understanding of OO: Inheritance, Polymorphism, Abstraction, and Encapsulation. Furthermore he should also understand UML, Patterns, (Principles?). Kick the architect's ass when the design is wrong or the sysadmin's when the build- or test-server breaks. A good set of acronyms and buzzwords is also required.

As you go up the chain more and more responsibilities are added: it's not like that when you are a lead developer you suddenly only get to do the cool stuff.

You won't find much procedural code in an enterprise environment because OO is easier (cooler *AHUM*) to model.

There is no real difference between an enterprise PHP developer and just some regular PHP-joe. As a programmer you should know what you are talking about regardless if you are working in an enterprise or not. Buzzwords are great to make you look cool but most don't truly understand what they are talkikng about (I'm not excluding myself here in any way).

Every now and then you'll see a trend in buzzwords like Dependency Injection a while back. Although DI is great, it's not something new. The concepts behing DI go way back to 1980 as is common in our profession.

Having a good working knowledge on different subjects and in different areas helps you to see through the BS.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.