Doing something with JSON

mykmallett

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do anything with the JSON file that Facebook events give to me

I have this AJAX:

$.getJSON("getevent.php?event="+event,function(data)
{
var items = [];

$.each(data, function(key, val) {
    items.push('<li id="' + key + '">' + val + '</li>');
  });

$('<ul/>', {
    'class': 'my-new-list',
    html: items.join('')
  }).appendTo('body');
}

Which passes a Facebook events URL that the user enters to this PHP

$url = $_GET['event'];

parse_str( parse_url( $url, PHP_URL_QUERY ) );
$id = $eid;

$url = 'https://graph.facebook.com/'.$id;

$json = file_get_contents($url,0,null,null);
$json_output = json_decode($json, true);

echo $json

Which would output json like this:

{
   "id": "331218348435",
   "owner": {
      "name": "Julia Lam",
      "id": "2503747"
   },
   "name": "Facebook Developer Garage Austin - SXSW Edition",
   "description": "Join the Facebook team and local developers for a deep dive into the latest and most exciting ways developers are building with Facebook technologies.  \n\nCome to learn, stay to make friends!\n\nTentative Agenda:\n2:00 - 2:30 PM - Registration\n2:30 - 3:30 PM - Learn the latest from Facebook and local developers\n3:30 - 5:30 PM - Drink with friends!  Stay and mingle with your developer community.\n\n*Come early!  Drink tickets and t-shirts provided to the first 300 attendees.  Cash bar provided for all attendees.\n\nTopics & Speakers:\n--Multi-Platform Social Games (Gareth Davis, Facebook) \n--Increasing Mobile Engagement with Facebook Connect (Josh Williams, Gowalla)\n--Facebook Integration with Seesmic (or How to Build Community Using Octopus Balls...) (John Yamasaki, Seesmic)\n--Going multi-platform: the brave new world beyond facebook.com (Sebastien de Halleux, Playfish / EA Interactive)\n--Socially Connected Exploding Gems Everywhere...Excellent! (Jon David, PopCap Games)\n\n* Emceed by Austin local: whurley, Chaotic Moon Studios\n* All are welcome to attend, no badge is required.\n* If you can't make it in person, you can join the live stream, beginning at 2:00 PM CST, here: http://ustream.tv/fbplatform  \n\n***DAYLIGHT SAVINGS STARTS SUNDAY AT 2 AM, PLEASE ADJUST YOUR CLOCKS ACCORDINGLY***",
   "start_time": "2010-03-14T14:00:00",
   "end_time": "2010-03-14T17:30:00",
   "location": "The Phoenix",
   "venue": {
      "street": "409 Colorado St.",
      "city": "Austin",
      "state": "Texas",
      "country": "United States",
      "latitude": 30.2669,
      "longitude": -97.7428
   },
   "privacy": "OPEN",
   "updated_time": "2010-04-13T15:29:40+0000"
}

Its all working fine up until it is supposed to do something with the JSON. Firebug is saying it is recieving the JSON return fine. What I would like to eventually do with it is assign each part to a variable for later use, but I just cannot figure out what to do with it. Can anyone help, I have been reading conflicting tutorials and examples on ajax for days now.

Thanks

Mike

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.