Comparing data in mysql array

InABoxPr

Well i have been trying to get this to work for the past 30 minutes, and it just keeps mind fucking me over and over.

Heres how my mysql is basicly setup:

Table: Tasks

ID | Done

Table: Users

ID | Username

Now im the table "tasks" for the column "done" i want it to say like

"1,2,3,4,5" the number represents the Users ID.

Now i was to echo out each ID in the table tasks that does not contain the users ID

I was trying to put the data in the column "done" into a array, and use in_array to compare the user ID and the data, but it wasnt working.

Well, your real problem is that your database is structured poorly, so it's making a task like this not so easy to accomplish.

Anytime you're storing concatenated data in a field like that is a pretty good indication of poor database design.

If you remove the "Done" field from the Tasks table so that it's just a table to describe each task, then you can create another table of completed tasks. In this table you could have the id of a user, and the id of the task completed. So a record for each task each user has completed.

Then selecting the tasks that haven't been completed for a particular user is a simple, and much more efficient, task.

Ah, i never thought about that.

So i would have something like this,

Table: Tasks

ID | Task

Table: Users

ID | Username

Table: Complete

UserID | TaskID

I would have the script check if the id of the user is inside the ID column of the Complete table, and if it is it will compare the task id to the task id inside the table task and i will echo out every row that isnt already complete by that user.

Im still sorta stuck on how to code this, i understand how to do it but i feel a bit confused when doing this.

You wouldn't require a PHP script to do any checking. You could have MySQL do all the work with a simple select query.

This can probably be done better, but roughly:

SELECT Tasks.ID from Tasks WHERE Tasks.ID NOT IN (SELECT Complete.TaskID FROM Complete WHERE Complete.UserID = 'some user id')

And with that sql query, i would echo out the result for each thing that is returned.

So something like

$sql = mysql_query("SELECT Tasks.ID from Tasks WHERE Tasks.ID NOT IN (SELECT Complete.TaskID FROM Complete WHERE Complete.UserID = 'some user id')" or die(mysql_error());

while($fetch = mysql_fetch_array($sql))

{

echo "$fetch[task]";

}

So then maybe something like this:

$sql = mysql_query("SELECT Tasks.Task as Task from Tasks WHERE Tasks.ID NOT IN (SELECT Complete.TaskID FROM Complete WHERE Complete.UserID = '1')" or die(mysql_error());
while($fetch = mysql_fetch_array($sql))
{
echo $fetch['Task'];
}

Alright it works now, i have 1 last question.

I made it:

echo $fetch['Task'] .">>";

instead of

echo $fetch['Task'] .">>";

so now it would say (if i have a task)

task>>

Im using the ">>" as a seperator for later use.

How can i make it delete the last / remove the last ">>" out of the echo'd out data.

For example if i have tasks:

ID | Task

1 | Hello

2 | Hi

3 | oHia

It would echo out like:

Hello>>Hi>>oHia>>

I want it to echo out like

Hello>>Hi>>oHia

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.