Session automatically time out

PeggyBuckham

I have been using a simple script for login information to be stored in the session array. The problem with the code I have been using is it only destroys the session if the user refreshes the page. I would like the page to automatically log the user out if there is no activity.  Here is the code I have been using:

ini_set('session.gc_maxlifetime',300);

ini_set('session.gc_probability',1);

ini_set('session.gc_divisor',1);

session_start();

if($_SESSION['admin_login'] != $password){

header('Location: index.php');

exit();

}

I have been working on using the setTimeout() function in javascript. The best I can think is I need to get the javascript to execute the php script. Right?

Thank you for answering me I had almost given up thinking that someone would answer me? It has taken me way to long to try to figure out something that I thought should be easy.

I have been working on using the setTimeout() function in javascript. The best I can think is I need to get the javascript to execute the php script. Right?

Thank you for answering me I had almost given up thinking that someone would answer me? It has taken me way to long to try to figure out something that I thought should be easy.

Yes, you should have your standard logout url take care of "logging out" and destroying the session.  Something along the lines of:

session_start();
session_unset();
session_destroy();

Your on the right track with the javascript timeout.  Basically you want the timeout function to redirect to your logout url. 

You also need to capture events and reset the timer anytime there is a mousemove, keypress or keydown event.

Using a javascript library like jquery or prototype will make things much easier if you are challenged as to how to accomplish the javascript.

word of caution, if you are going to use javascript/jquery to execute this function, you will need a noscript alternative in case a user has disabled javascript on their browser

You can use a meta refresh with a somewhat longer timeout, or just don't allow them on the site with javascript turned off.

word of caution, if you are going to use javascript/jquery to execute this function, you will need a noscript alternative in case a user has disabled javascript on their browser

Well, there isn't really a noscript alternative except to just tell PHP to kill the session with gc_maxlifetime. But then that requires a page refresh.

You can use a meta refresh with a somewhat longer timeout

The only problem with that is you lose event tracking, so their session may get terminated even if they are still active.

EDIT: Epiphany: You'd lose event tracking either way, I suppose.

You can use a meta refresh with a somewhat longer timeout, or just don't allow them on the site with javascript turned off.

true, there are a few simple solutions to the issue, however I wanted to make the issue was aware to the OP as to not be overlooked, since it can cause very unwanted results

Yes, that is the tradeoff, but the theory there would be that an active session is going to move off a page in a reasonable amount of time.  If your javascript inactivity timeout is 3 minutes, you might allow a meta refresh of 10. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.