More than one MySQL server

silvercover

I have a growing website which now uses single and ordinary MySQL server for its tasks. I wonder how and when should I migrate to more powerful servers or in other words when is the best time to use mirror servers or grid or other than single serving server?

How could I find out that my web apps need a better database server solutions and configurations? I know I can study usage and server loads, but since I don't have enough experiences on managing and developing large scale websites I need some advices on how to configure MySQL server(s) for a fast growing website? what are the best practices?

Thanks in Advance

This is a very subjective question.

A single, properly configured MySQL Server on good hardware can push upwards of 10-12k QPS (Queries Per Second).

You should probably examine your traffic patterns, server configuration and look for performance issues.

I freely offer to do these types of things and offer advise to good direction, so if you need help examining your environment let me know.

At my work, our servers do an average of 600k QPS.

We have an average of:

- 45,000 logins per day

- 100+ queries per login

So, we probably do around 4 million to 4.5 million queries per day, and some of those queries are resource hogs, joining 2+ table containing 300 million rows or more but usually they only take 2 seconds to run (which is still a long time).

There is not simple answer to your question.  It all depends on how well MySQL is configured and what kind of hardware you are running on.  If you need help configuring MySQL I would suggest running this

wget -O - mysqltuner.pl | perl

Also I would suggest turning slow query logging on.  If you start seeing lots of queries end up in your slow query log that is a good indication that something needs to change on be fixed in your environment.

Thanks,

whit3fir3

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.