what would the concept/structure to create a booking system

Lisa23

Hi wanted to create a booking system like http://gotobus.com/ or similar check the bus tickets form on the left side, which the user choose chose time a date of traveling from city, to city. then display availability list

what i wanted to know is how do i create such system what i was thinking is do i fill out a whole database with travel details like california date and times bus leaving.

new york date and time bus leaving

and the form would it be like some if statments like (if from california else date else time display california bus timetable. like i said i really dnt know how the concept of a system like that would be done if anyone has done it or know the way it should be done can you please give some ideas of the logic/concept to create such system. or can a achive the system with just php or should i choose different language??

thanks in advance

If you are wondering how you would model this at a DB-level:

driver (driver_id, ..)

bus (bus_id, num_passenger_seats, ..)

tour (tour_id, ..)

schedule (tour_id, bus_id, driver_id, date, price)

customer (customer_id, ..)

booking (customer_id, schedule_id, ..)

This should get you started.

no i mean how will the form retrive the data from the database exacly based on the departure city and arrival city and dependeable on the date he choses

like lets say the user chooses depart from california on the 6th july 2011 so the it should display alll the schedule accordingly with the departure city and date.

so how would i set the database tables? just like how he retrives the schedule on this bus timetable http://gotobus.com/

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.