Creating a social network site for fun...

Clandestinex337

This forum is for people looking for help with code they have written. Your question has nothing to do with that.

Even so, it is impossible to answer your question with anything substantive. You say you are an "intermediate" at PHP. I have no idea what that means to you and, more importantly, what your skill set is. I have to assume that since you are asking this question you don't possess the skills necessary to start. I don't know what skills, therefore, you are lacking. But, you would need "excellent" PHP skills as wells as good database skills. Not just accessing the database, but being able to design a database schematic based upon the needs and requirements of the application. There may be other skill sets needed based upon how complex you want the application to be: CSS, advanced HTML, JavaScript, etc.

Assuming you have the requisite skills the first step is to define your requirements( e.g. users need to be able to register, users should be able to post "x" type of information, users need to be able to request friends, etc.). Then you need to convert those requirements into actual features to develop the user interface that you will build. There are many other facets to the process, but I'm not going to try to fit a books worth of information into a forum post.

On second though, that is my answer, . . . get a book.

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for posting in the wrong area..

I guess I used the wrong term social network. I want to create a site similar to plenty of fish. Looking at the site seems simple. When user registers they fill out a form of information. And then other users are able to browse for people with similar interest and that are local. And then they are able to communicate with each other trough either PM or just sending emails.

So from what I know it doesn't seem to hard. User registers with information about that user. Users are able to search according to information other users have put in their profile. If they are interested in each other they contact. And potentially down the line there will be a on site chat function.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.