brain cramp

phpsycho

I got a major brain cramp. I can't seem to organize my thoughts very much anymore lol

so what I am trying to do is display entries from my db using pagination.

First I didn't use pagination and my code looked like this:

$numrow = mysql_num_rows(mysql_query("SELECT * from `messages` WHERE (`from`='{$_SESSION['id']}' OR `to`='{$_SESSION['id']}') AND `mail_id`='$id'"));
if($numrow > 3){ $lim = $numrow-3; }else{ $lim = 0; }

$ms=mysql_query("SELECT * from `messages` WHERE (`from`='{$_SESSION['id']}' OR `to`='{$_SESSION['id']}') AND `mail_id`='$id' ORDER BY `id` ASC LIMIT $lim,3");

so that worked the way I liked it to. it would display 3 entries and the newest entry would display last.

now that I have pagination it displays last, but last meaning the last page. I want the newest entries on the first page but show the newest entry last but on the first page.

$per_page = 3; 
$page=clean_up($_GET['page']);
$id=clean_up($_GET['id']);

$start = ($page-1)*$per_page;
$ms=mysql_query("SELECT * from `messages` WHERE (`from`='{$_SESSION['id']}' OR `to`='{$_SESSION['id']}') AND `mail_id`='$id' ORDER BY `id` DESC LIMIT $start,$per_page");

now that I have pagination it displays last, but last meaning the last page. I want the newest entries on the first page but show the newest entry last but on the first page.

what i meant was that I want to display entries and order them so the newest one is displayed last on each page there is. so the last page has the oldest entries but the oldest entry of them all should be displayed first on the last page.

possible?

I think I have to do something with the $start.. just don't know what.. does anyone understand how the first code I had worked and why it doesn't now that I have pagination? is it possible to do what I want for it to do?

because I have a reply box below it and its jquery so when it is submitted it add under the last message. So I dont want the recent message being at the top of the page away from the reply section.

just like facebooks messaging  system

hmm did that..

$ms=mysql_query("SELECT * from `messages` WHERE (`from`='{$_SESSION['id']}' OR `to`='{$_SESSION['id']}') AND `mail_id`='$id' ORDER BY `id` DESC LIMIT $start,$per_page");
$rows = array_reverse($ms);
foreach ($rows as $msg){
$mamessage=clean_up($msg['message']);
$from=clean_up($msg['from']);

and it doesn't display anything..

Ohh yeah.. sorry, I was in the middle of class :P

I think he meant:

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($ms)) {
  $rows[] = $row;
}
$rows = array_reverse($rows);

oh.. alrighty.

so where does the content go? inside the while I assume right?

so like..

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($ms)) {
  $rows[] = $row;

$message=clean_up($row['message']);
$from=clean_up($row['from']);
echo "$from $message";

}
$rows = array_reverse($rows);

hmm maybe not.. I don't think that makes sense..

but if I put it in after the array_reverse it wouldn't display each row of data.. it would only display one, right? idkk.. im totally confused now.

with what I had before from gizmola spit out an error, just forgot I didn't have error reporting off so I had to turn it on. it said:

Warning: array_reverse() expects parameter 1 to be array, resource given in /var/www/satanicempire/pages/message_data.php on line 33 Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /var/www/satanicempire/pages/message_data.php on line 34

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.