Friend system help

Jaynesh

Hello

I am currently working on a friend system.

The basic functionality I'm going for is if a user posts something, it will only be visible to his friends and himself.

Here is my table layout so far:

Users (id, username, password, email)

Posts (id, user_id, post)

Friends (user_id, friend_id)

I've managed to display the post to just the submitter alone. How would I go about displaying it to all the friends?

You join from friends to posts on posts.user_id = friends.user_id AND friends.friend_id = {id of current user} OR posts.user_id = {id of current user} . 

I don't know if you omitted it in your description but posts certainly needs a datetime or timestamp so you can order the posts in some fashion -- most recent first being the typical approach.

Hello

I'm still a beginner so you might have to spoon feed me.

This is the code I created from your response.

$display = "JOIN * FROM Friends TO Posts ON Posts.user_id = Friends.user_id AND Friends.friend_id = $user OR posts.user_id = $user";

I don't think it is correct, because it doesn't work.

Here is an example of my User table and Friends table

User

id

username

John

Billy

Jacob

Tina

password

eqfnj1k3

123ejkn13

132kjenf

123ekn

email

email@john.com

email@billy.com

email@jacob.com

email@tina.com

Friends

User_id

Friend_id

So John and Billy are friends and Jacob and Tina are friends.

I understood your structure when I answered the question. 

You are right that your syntax is wrong.  Please google or read http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/join.html

Something close to this should work

SELECT p.* FROM Friends f JOIN (Post p) ON (p.user_id = f.friend_id AND f.user_id = $userid OR p.user_id = $userid)

You also need phpMyadmin or command line mysql access to be able to test out queries in advance.  Obviously you replace where you're going to have variables with a literal id# that you have in your test data so you can have a reasonable expectation that the query will work once it's coded in your php script.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.