online status

searls03

so I want to make a database that basically updates a row called login to 1 when the user is logged in and 0 when off.  I am making a chat like thing and the cade will be like .........if $loggedin=0........it will show the user is offline.....if 1 it will show is online........the problem I am running into is like making it so that the user is logged off after lets say 1000 secs of inactivity.....otherwise it will say they are always logged in.  is this a good way to do this?  or is there a better way?  I hope this makes sense.

what would I do to make it so that it doesn't completely log them out....but instead it just puts them "asleep" and they just need to click to come online again?  also could I get some sample jquery or whatever language..........jquery I am horrible at.

so I have decided to do it this way:

<?php
session_start();
// Must be already set
$username1 = $_SESSION['username'];
include_once "connect_to_mysql_1.php";

?><?php
if ($_POST['logout']) {

$sql = mysql_query("UPDATE sessions SET loggedin='0' where username='$username'")or die(mysql_error());
echo  "hello '$username'";
}
?>
<?php
if(isset($_SESSION['username']))
{

$query = "SELECT username, loggedin, name FROM sessions order by loggedin desc";
   $result = mysql_query($query) or die('Error : ' . mysql_error());

// create the article list

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result, MYSQL_NUM))
   {
      list($username, $loggedin, $name) = $row;
  if ($loggedin == 1){
      $as .=  "<p><a href=\"javascript:void(0)\" onClick=\"javascript:chatWith('$username')\">$name</a>
</p>\r\n";

}else if ($loggedin == 0){ $as .=  "<p><a href=\"javascript:void(0)\" onClick=\"javascript:chatWith('$username')\">$name</a>
</p>\r\n";
  }}}

?>

only problem is I need to know how to make it so that the current session........my username lets say.....wont show to beable to chat with.....so you cant chat with yourself haha.  make sense?

If it's a chat thing then you could use a cronjob that runs every 10 or so seconds which goes through all logged in users setting them to brb or away based on the time difference from now and there last action (stored in a db). That is how the thing I'm making works, or will.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.