Need opposite to this statement

cliftonbazaar

If I run the following code it works fine

if($checkBowler['playerID'] == ($match['currentBowler'] or $match['waitingBowler'] or $match[$bowlingTeam.'WicketKeeper'])) {  #Check the current, or next, bowler or the wicket keeper

but I actually want the opposite and have tried this

if($checkBowler['playerID'] != ($match['currentBowler'] or $match['waitingBowler'] or $match[$bowlingTeam.'WicketKeeper'])) {  #Don't check the current, or next, bowler or the wicket keeper

but this returns no results and it should return 8 :(

Try:

if($checkBowler['playerID'] != ($match['currentBowler'] && $match['waitingBowler'] && $match[$bowlingTeam.'WicketKeeper'])) {  #Don't check the current, or next, bowler or the wicket keeper

I generally spell out the if statement in this case, personally. It takes more work, but I think it's easier to see / understand (preference). IE:

if (($checkBowler['playerID'] != $match['currentbowler']) && ($checkBowler['playerID'] != $match['waitingBowler']) && ($checkBowler[$bowlingTeam.'WicketKeeper'] != $match['currentbowler'])) {

This line of code may run without a syntax error, but it is NOT doing what you think it is

if($checkBowler['playerID'] == ($match['currentBowler'] or $match['waitingBowler'] or $match[$bowlingTeam.'WicketKeeper'])) {

when you group that.. strange or statement together, you are producing a boolean value. Remember, or (or ||) is a boolean operation, and returns a boolean value. You are essentially doing this

if($checkBowler['playerID'] == true){///
//or 
if ($checkBowler['playerID'] == false){///
//depending on the value of the that triple or statement

now fortunately, PHP will just cast whatever you throw at it on the fly, so if you have a string (as long as its not empty) that statement will be.. ok. It won't behave like you want it to, but if you feed it certain inputs it may make you think it is behaving correctly.

It seems like you simply want to check if that value is equal to any of those three values (and then check to negation of that later on)

Now, AyKay's advice kind of addresses this problem, but assumes that the three values you are testing that are part of the $match array are its only values. Now, this may be true, in which case you can use in_array like he used, but to be safe I would just stick the three values into another array

$arr = ($match['playerID', ... the rest of them you are testing)

if (in_array($checkBowler['playerID'], $arr)){//this is what you first test should be
}
if (!in_arrray($checkBowler['playerID'], $arr)){//similar to AyKay's post
}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.