div ids & classes.

jege

Hello. Im quite new for the css styling so I would want some help with divs.

I dont really understand how to end them. like the tag is </div> but how do i know what tag i close then?

Lets say ive got this kind of page with divs. How would i end the 'nav' div? just add an </div> after it? this was my problem. i didnt know what of those divs it closes? wrapper, header, headerwrapper or the nav??

<div id="wrapper">	
<div id="header">
<div id="headerwrapper">
	<div id="nav">

Hopefully someone got time and could make some example how they end.

Thanks

you must close them all. They are nested inside of each other, so when you type </div> you're closing the last <div> you opened.

<div id="1">

<div id="2">

<div id="3">

</div> // CLOSE DIV 3

</div> // CLOSE DIV 2

</div> //CLOSE DIV 1

That doesn't make sense by using //close whatever  this will display on the web page unless you are in php

for html

<div id="wrapper">

<div id="nav">

</div><!-- end nav -->

</div><!-- end wrapper -->    <!-- space must be used after the (--) and then the (word) followed by space then (--)> to be compliant with w3c validator

You can also download PSPAD and when you click a div tag the opposing div tag will highlight

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.