clean url and forms

MDanz

I've recently used mod_rewrite and changed my .htaccess allowing clean urls.  Is there a tutorial that tells me how to use $_GET with a clean url?

for instance how do i get the name with the clean url($_GET method)?

messy url

example.com/play.php?id=203&name=test

clean url

example.com/videos/play/203/test

also when using forms is it as simple as changing

<form action='submit.php' action='get'>

to

<form action='submit' action='get'>

or do i have to do something else?

Your clean URL should rewrite all the variables into the messy URL so you won't have to do anything with the $_GET. As for as the PHP script is concerened, it dosn't matter if it was a clean URL or messy.

Forms are a different matter though, the action needs to be the working clean URL (not just 'submit'). If you're using GET forms then it will always look ugly. If you have several fields to submit try using POST where you can have a clean URL as the action, and all of the post data will be hidden from the URL. Depends what sort of data you're submitting in the form.

Your clean URL should rewrite all the variables into the messy URL so you won't have to do anything with the $_GET. As for as the PHP script is concerened, it dosn't matter if it was a clean URL or messy.

Forms are a different matter though, the action needs to be the working clean URL (not just 'submit'). If you're using GET forms then it will always look ugly. If you have several fields to submit try using POST where you can have a clean URL as the action, and all of the post data will be hidden from the URL. Depends what sort of data you're submitting in the form.

Thanks for help.

So your saying example.php?name=test and example/name/test.. if i use $_GET['name']; on the clean url it will be "test"?..

and i should change my GET forms to POST(hidden data), for the sake of clean urls?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.