stripslashes

jeff5656

I tried to insert this variable into a database:

stripslashes($del_array['t3'])

When that variable contains a ' character (don't or O'Grady, etc) then I get the syntax error.  If I don't have a ' then it inserts correctly.  I thought wrapping the variable in stripslashes was supposed to escape the ' sign?

Also, stripslashes would be the opposite of what you want.  When you add data to a database, you typically would addslashes.  When you pull the data back out for display, then you stripslashes.  This could also be affected by magic quotes which you would want to determine whether or not it is configured (although hopefully not) and depends on the type of software you're writing (is this generic, or something only you will use, and can safely ignore the magic quotes issue).  Depending on the database, there are specific functions to use in lieu of addslashes.

Thanks to everyone.  Yes I think I need to use addslashes. 

The variable comes from another table that I had inserted using mysql_real_escape_string().  Now I am taking that record and inserting it into table 2, so I need to use addslashed to get it in there.  Actually sicne I originally put it in with mysql_real_escape_string(), couldn't I use that instead of addslashes?

Thanks to everyone.  Yes I think I need to use addslashes. 

The variable comes from another table that I had inserted using mysql_real_escape_string().  Now I am taking that record and inserting it into table 2, so I need to use addslashed to get it in there.  Actually sicne I originally put it in with mysql_real_escape_string(), couldn't I use that instead of addslashes?

mysql_real_escape string is a bit smarter then addslashes in that it takes into account the charset of the db server, and escapes a few bitwise characters as well...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.