Mail Form

anton_1

Hey guys, Do you have any good articles that I could read to setup my own mail server how to connect to one to allow people to contact me through my web form on my website.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You!

Hey guys, Do you have any good articles that I could read to setup my own mail server how to connect to one to allow people to contact me through my web form on my website.

you don't need to set up a mail server to let people send you messages through a form. All you need is and smtp server (which your ISP probably provides for you) and an email address.

you don't need to set up a mail server to let people send you messages through a form. All you need is and smtp server (which your ISP probably provides for you) and an email address.

:shrug:...i thought he actually wanted to make one himself

your error said:

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set() in C:\xampp\htdocs\mail\mail.php on line 9

c:\xamp means you're testing things on your local computer... not your webhost service. Chances are you will not need to modify anything. have you tried sending the email from your hosting account? (i.e. upload the script to your hosting account and run from there. What hosting do you have? linux, windows? - I'm guessing linux since you're programming in php)

@ AyKay47, he seems to be testing locally with xampp, when he uploads to his hosting account it will probably work perfectly. (even if he gets the smtp address from the host, he will put it into his local php.ini and it won't work anyway).

@anton_1: You need to get the smtp from your ISP for your local host (i.e. the computer you have xampp installed on and are using to test stuff)

and you need to try the mail() function on your hosting account. if it does not work, then you need to get the smtp address for your hosting account (this should work without modifications though). I think the problem here is that you're trying to test on your local machine without uploading to you hosting account.

@ AyKay47, he seems to be testing locally with xampp, when he uploads to his hosting account it will probably work perfectly. (even if he gets the smtp address from the host, he will put it into his local php.ini and it won't work anyway).

@anton_1: You need to get the smtp from your ISP for your local host (i.e. the computer you have xampp installed on and are using to test stuff)

and you need to try the mail() function on your hosting account. if it does not work, then you need to get the smtp address for your hosting account (this should work without modifications though). I think the problem here is that you're trying to test on your local machine without uploading to you hosting account.

in my opinon, trying to setup a mail server on localhost is not worth the trouble, I would wait to tamper with the mail() function until the OP has put his script on a server

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.