Converting time to users localtime

Clarkeez

Hey..

I need some sort of function to convert the 'datetime' stamp from my mysql table row.

It needs to convert that time into the users local time.

I've searched around but nothing seems related to what I need.

Anyone know good way to do this?

Do you know the timezone for the user? If so, converting a time to another timezone is a simple task. Ideally, I would store the time from GMT, but even if you have it stored in a different timezone you can still convert from that to another. But, the real question is whether you have captured the timezone for the user, such as having them select their timezone when they create an account. If you have not provided a means for the user to select their timezone, there are ways to auto-detect it via JavaScript, but I'm not sure how foolproof that is.

Thanks guys, I suppose I should get their timezone with the registration form.

Erm, so once I have that, how would i actually do it..

something like, for example..

mysql_connect blah blah

$q = mysql_query("SELECT p.time_posted AS time_posted, u.timezone AS timezone FROM post.p LEFT OUTER JOIN user u ON u.id = p.poster WHERE p.id = 'whatever'"); // time_posted field type is datetime

$d = mysql_fetch_array($q);

$localtime = idontknowthisbit_somefunction?($d['time_posted'], $d['timezone']);

echo $localtime;

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.