Memory Limit allowed changes randomly

Impluo

I have a problem with the server I am on, it seems to change it's mind on how big of a file I can open at random times.

I had coded a script to collect data and had originally split the files up into chunks of less than 5mb per file since at the time the server wouldn't allow me to open and scan a file that was over 5mb. Now here's the problem, yesterday through cron i acidentally set it to run hourly and ended up with 3 of the same process and had files that were 10mb+. Low and behold it was now letting me open and scan files that were 10-20mb. Then comes today... I can't even have it read a file that is 4mb. There were no other processes running either, so I am at a loss wondering what is going on.

Any help on this issue would be great!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.