change text string after ?? seconds

dodgeitorelse

Hi, is it possible to change a text string after a 5 second period? What i want is text string "A" to display on page, then after five seconds replace text string "A" with text string "B" then after another 5 seconds replace with text string "C" then after 5 seconds display text string "A" again and keep doing this?

[Moved to JavaScript forum]

You will need to accomplish this using JavaScript. How many strings do you have? If you only have a relatively small number then just create the text strings as JavaScript values (in an array). If it is an excessively large number then you would use AJAX (JavaScript + PHP, or some other server-side technology) to get them from the server.

You will want to create a function that is run "onload" of the page. That function should get the next line of text to display and populate a div with that content (hint, "innerHTML"). Then at the end of the function you would use settimeout() to call the function again (i.e. make it recursive) after 5 seconds.

ok so far I have this which does display my messages (3 of them) using

<script type="text/javascript">
var customMessages = Array('Click \"Image\" to see server details....', 'Click \"Map Name\" to go directly to download link for that map....', 'Click \"Player Scores\" to see top 10 players for that server');

var secondsPassed = 0;
function show_notes()
{
var t = setTimeout("load()", 3000);
}

function load()
{
document.getElementById("tracker_notes").style.color = "red";
document.getElementById("tracker_notes").innerHTML = customMessages[secondsPassed];
if(++secondsPassed < 6)
	var t = setTimeout("load()", 4000);
else
	document.getElementById("tracker_notes").innerHTML = '';
}
</script>

however at the end of the third code it then displays "undefined as if it were another message. I can't for the life of me see what is undefined.

I am also working on getting this function to keep reloading so that it repeats the 3 messages over and over. Am I going in the right direction or am I way off here?

You are in the right direction. You are getting undefined because your array has 3 values and you are trying to get 6 values. Change your if statment as the following

// change this
if(++secondsPassed < 6)

// to this
if(++secondsPassed < customMessages.length)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.