Opening the next page within the main content tabbed page?

stevengreen22

Hi all,

Sorry for the confusing title.  I stumbled across a site the other night that had this pretty cool feature and I was wondering how it was done, chances are it's js but I thought this would be a good place to start.

To explain...(Sorry, I can't remmber the site and at work so no chance of checking browser history)....you've got the main page and everything is happy.

On the main content you'd have the 4/5 menu tabs - on a horizontal menu.

when selecting the tab, instead of redirecting or opening up the page it will generate it within the same space that the content was in before it.  Does that make sense?  Nothing else will change or move, just the content div itself will change to be the content div of another page.

Woudl be great if someone could provide any ivfo, I'm 'googling' like a maniac but when you can't explain it to yourself...you don't get much out of a search engine, did find a coupleof decent random blogs though.

thanks!

Hi Frank,

Thanks for shedding some light on it, at least now I know which direction to face before have a play.

Get firebug for firefox and inspect the element. Instead of guessing you than know exactly how it is done.

Hello again,

I would do but for the time being I'm restricted to using the internet at work and restricted to IE only.  We've just moved and waiting for Broadband to be re-activated again, shoudl hopefully be next week.

I read a bit about iframes and it seems logical although I can't help thinking there must be another way without relying on them.

Being as you're considered somewhat of an authority on these things...How would you do it? :)

(oh...you may remember that pi*s poor effort of a site I was in love with....I've decided to put up a simple "How not to do what I did" site that I'm sending to the lecturers to maybe help fools like myself.  Mind if I reference your blog?

IE 9 (if you have it) has something similar to firebug but from my point of view it's a bit more chaotic.

If you open up a website in IE9 and press F12 you get a sort of inspector. (same is for chrome btw)

That way you can inspect the elements presented, and alter it in your browser live.

As for referencing, do as you like although I would suggest to anyone new to get a book on the topic So if you were to reference I would add what i just mentioned because i think it is vital. Books have more structure, are much more detailed start at the beginning and work their way upwards. It saves one searching, and within a week one definitely knows more than trying out crappy online tutorials. Tutorials are pretty much always handle a tiny bit, and assuming one knows his stuff already. Not to mention my blog does not have tutorials, they are little articles.

IE9??? Here?? Wow! Hopeful!  They're not yet upgraded to 8 :) 

Terms of books.  I'm working my way through a couple, beginning css, Ian Pouncey & styling with css, Charles Whyke Smith are the two sat on my desk in front of me, I've a couple in the toilet and a couple more next to the beast that silenty hums in anticipation.

I'm re-reading a lot of stuff but thats fine, I also feel that maybe I should be focusing more on PHP instead but I hate not being able to do something and now I knwo the right way, I want to be tip top at it.

Few online tutorials I managed to download as well - there's a few by open source training, another by net tuts and a few others.  They are very helpful but I'm not relying heavily on them unless they're on the same page as me and the books if you know what I mean?  It was online vidtuts that got me into this fking mess to start with but these guys do seem fairly clued up.

In terms of referencing:  you were a big help, that help could save someone else the hours I wasted learning about a redundant feature (when used to design) if I can save someone that time then I'll be happy.  I'll be referencing this forum in general as well as it has been a great help.

IE9??? Here?? Wow! Hopeful!  They're not yet upgraded to 8 :) 

I've a couple in the toilet

lol ran out of toilet paper? As for not upgrading, I am pretty sure your system admin is around 55 and always busy doing nothing.

ANyway books are the way to go.

:) I've plenty of socks forif I run out of the magic paper.  The toilet is probably the most peaceful place in the world to get some reading done. 

Busy doing nothing is his speciality.  Where I worked before I used to take in fox on usb and run it from that, used to be able to bypass all security and have my wicked way with the net.  Here though, I can't even charge my phone without having to jump through hoops on this machine.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.