How to make the fallback font italic, but not the imported font

tommybfisher

I have a font linked to my css which is already italic. My fallback font is Georgia, which I want to be displayed in italic if my linked font is not available. If I just set the font-style to italic, it makes the linked font double-italicised which I don't want.

How can I make Georgia and the other fallback fonts italic, without affecting the linked font?

h2, h3, h4 {
font-family: "LobsterTwoBoldItalic", Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif;
font-size: 20px;
}

How can I make Georgia and the other fallback fonts italic, without affecting the linked font?

On my machines, Vista Basic and XP Pro, there is a separate Georgia Italic installed. And I didn't do that myself, so at least when it concerns Windows computer, you should be able to just write "Georgia Italic". 

Thanks Frank,

Well that's good to know for Windows machines, however, I'm on Macs here and it doesn't seem to be installed on these machines.

I've read something about .wf-active/.wf-inactive class names, I think it's something to do with what I'm trying to achieve but I'm not entirely sure how to use it. I've had a search online and can't seem to come up with any advice.

I've read all the documentation regarding the Google Font API and that only seems to apply when you're linking to web-fonts, and not when you have a font file embedded on the page.

Although, it may be that a fallback font is not required if the font-file is embedded in the page, as would there ever be a situation when it couldn't be accessed and would have to use the fallback font?

Although, it may be that a fallback font is not required if the font-file is embedded in the page, as would there ever be a situation when it couldn't be accessed and would have to use the fallback font?

In principle, the fonts installed locally (on your server) and invoked with an @font-face rule will indeed always be downloaded and rendered. And unless your site doesn't have a separate page for mobile phones (which it should have), you could take the chance that there will be a handful of visitors with browsers that don't support @font-face.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.