Mass Emailing Advice

Acute Chaos

Hey all -

I have a member site I am building (PHP/MYSQL).  I have an email address for each member in the database.

I want to be able to send out emails to all of them at once but don't know how to go about it.

I will contact the host to ensure that we can do this volume of outgoing at one time.  (about 5,000)

Can this be done simply enough with a personalized script or should I look to a predone service?

What I'd like to do specifically:

In the admin site I put together the administrator can add/edit/delete members etc.  I would like to be able to offer another link "Email Members'.  The option would take them to a page where they add the content of the email to a field and any attachment they might have and a 'send' button.

I tried to google help on this but I wasn't getting any of the help I need. 

Thanks for your time and insight!!

We use a custom script we wrote for this purpose.  It's fairly simple.  You do run the risk of looking like spam when you send out mass mailings like this.  We run our own server, but in your case I would check with your host and see what their rules are on this. 

Mailing lists are the technology you're after and they've been around a long while. phplist is a popular PHP mailing list manager often available from the Fantastico installer from cPanel.  You can also roll your own custom solution which a lot of people do, or you could take a hybrid approach and use existing mailing list software (mailman, ezmlm, etc) and automate the user management, subscriptions, etc for a streamlined solution.

SpamAssassins website has some info on how you can avoid getting your newsletters flagged as spam.

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/StopBlockingMyMail

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/AvoidingFpsForSenders

Thanks folks.

I was hoping I could just pull all the emails out, throw them in an array, and send out the email that way.  That sounds like what you guys did Doug? 

But I gotta give them other options to.  I'll look into your options hippy and see if I can save myself some work.

Appreciate it!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.