Help with Left Join

MDanz

I'm doing a left join query for the table below and it is not getting the correct results.  It should return the results peter, john and david  because they have the same sid and the wildcard is peter.

Instead it is returning carl, peter, john and david.  What do i have to change to correct this?

SELECT child.* FROM mytable child LEFT JOIN mytable parent on parent.sid=child.sid WHERE parent.name LIKE '%peter%' ORDER BY child.id ASC

idsidnameparent

0nullmike[/td]

[td]1

0rickmike

21carlrick

31peterrick

41johnrick

51davidrick

i tried that and now it is removing peter from results.  So the results are carl, john and david.

SELECT child.* FROM mytable child LEFT JOIN mytable parent on parent.sid=child.sid WHERE parent.name LIKE '%peter%' AND parent.name != child.name ORDER BY child.id ASC

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.