Vanilla JavaScript

SnapGravy

Hi there! I just wanted to ask/talk about something that has been bugging me.

Since I started programming, I have utterly fallen in love with it. Ive spent many years doing design and simple HTML and found myself to not be naturally gifted when it comes to visual design (although I love seeing great works of art I can't really get myself to produce great works of art myself). But when I started coding, I noticed how fast and how fun it was, I have been writing stories and books for a long time and I kind of figured. I cannot paint with a brush, but I can paint with words. I cannot design beautiful website but I can make them beautiful with words(code).

Anyways, the real issue at hand.

There are many frameworks for JavaScript, one of the more popular ones jQuery. I see it mentioned everywhere, and here is where my annoyance start. For me looking at jQuery its simpler, faster and produced great results but I am thinking it's still just a framework. Someone wrote that framework in JavaScript, so to me a person who simply uses only the framework might not appreciate or really know the underlying language its built upon.

This is of course just personal opinion on the subject, personally I like to build my own frameworks/functions/objects from scratch to aid in my scripting without relying on frameworks. I always challenge myself to produce the same results you see on other cool websites without relying on frameworks and rather build everything from ground up. So my question is, am I stupid? Should I hunker down and just take the easy way or keep to the Vanilla and keep going in the direction I feel is right. I know I want to focus on building it by myself from scratch, I just wonder if I am being thick headed by doing it?

If you have time, leave your opinion on the matter. Id like to hear your thoughts!

I've always been similar. I've written a blog engine 3 times now I think just because I refused to use WP or MovableType. I can honestly say I've learned the most by doing things the hard way and it definitely makes you appreciate the work people have put into the frameworks to make it easier for people. I personally wouldn't ever try to make my own javascript framework but that's because I'm far less comfortable with it and I've grown fond of jQuery. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't if you feel its something you're capable of. The hiccups you'll experience along the way will be what makes you a better developer.

That's my 2 cents.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.