A query that references two databases?

jhsachs

I want to correct an assumption you appear to have made, which may have colored your responses. Because I do not have Linux sysadmin skills, that does not mean I am unfamiliar with Apache, MySQL, or PHP. I have installed all of them under Windows enough times, and configured them enough, that the process holds no terrors for me. There is, of course, a great difference between knowing how to configure xAMP and knowing how to configure and maintain an effective xAMP server, just as there is a difference between knowing how to install Linux and knowing how to maintain a properly configured and backed-up Linux development system.

Please don't take my answer as anything other than my attempt to answer the questions you posed, even if it seems there was an implication there.  Most hosted sites are running on linux, and as you say there are differences between linux and windows setup.  That is one of the reasons I keep pointing people to sun (now oracle) virtualbox, which is a great free virtualization tool.  I personally use windows for my workstation, so this is something I do myself.  Also, the mysql administration items I pointed out, are the same across platforms -- setting up a database, grant/creating a user and giving it permissions to commands and objects is the same no matter what platform you're running it on.  It's all sql ;)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.