Client's Weird Design Pattern

phpSensei

Hello,

I have come across a new client who had a software with alot of documentation, it was basically a CMS build based on some other Programmer's design pattern, I remade the flow chart with an online program to try and explain what happens. The client lost the CMS software and wants it rebuilt based on the documents he has...

I try to convince him to use a SIMPLE MVC design pattern, but its hopeless.. Maybe you guys can help me.

Alright so based on the Read me files, and the docs..

Everything starts with the Interface Builder, and the first thing is does is gather the user's request and send it to a Interface Loader. The Interface loader collects information from a Package Compiler, the Package Compiler basically grabs different packages available to it, such as _Template, _Functions, _Libraries, Compiles everything together and sends it back to the Interface Loader, which sends it back to the Interface Builder, and runs it through a Create View Class (which is like VIEW in MVC), and then OUTPUTS the results.

This is driving me nuts..

Theres alot of COUPLING here.

smu139.jpg

It looks like some bastardized version of an early ASP.NET on the fly compilation model that was probably last used seven or eight years ago.  If the client values the worth of the code base (or rather architecture design), then they should be pointed to the fact that obscure application design leads to much larger costs in maintainability.  Despite having it well documented it'll take tens of hours of research for a developer to fully understand the code, let alone begin being comfortable using and extending it.  Longer if there is no code usage, example or unit tests to help the developer out.  The easily achieved path is to utilize an existing architecture that kids in high schools now a days learn that is very flexible.  To me its a no brainer, you may have to spend understanding the clients position on why they're so fixated on staying with the near-archaic design and slowly bring them over to side of reason.

It looks like some bastardized version of an early ASP.NET on the fly compilation model that was probably last used seven or eight years ago.  If the client values the worth of the code base (or rather architecture design), then they should be pointed to the fact that obscure application design leads to much larger costs in maintainability.  Despite having it well documented it'll take tens of hours of research for a developer to fully understand the code, let alone begin being comfortable using and extending it.  Longer if there is no code usage, example or unit tests to help the developer out.  The easily achieved path is to utilize an existing architecture that kids in high schools now a days learn that is very flexible.  To me its a no brainer, you may have to spend understanding the clients position on why they're so fixated on staying with the near-archaic design and slowly bring them over to side of reason.

Tell me about it, The documentation itself is horrible because what you see on the flow-chart gives no justice to how horrible the design pattern is really. I think I will try and lean him towards a MVC design pattern, I am glad I touched base with PHPfreak members on this, because its definately not worth the pay.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.